The Michelangelo Foundation Presents
The Michelangelo Foundation Presents
Exhibition spaces Exhibitors Objects
Eilean

Eilean
Welcome aboard “Eilean”, a legendary yacht entirely restored by a team of master artisans from the Cantiere Francesco Del Carlo di Viareggio, and witness the care, skill and passion that goes into yacht restoration.

Search

Refine by
  Eilean Boat At the end of 2009, after two and a half years of extensive restoration, Eilean, the 22-metre Bermudian ketch designed and built in 1936 by the legendary Scottish boatyard Fife of Fairlie, was re-launched, having been returned to her original splendour.
Francesco Del Carlo boatyard
Boat restoration
Story Restoration Atelier
Story

The restoration supported by Officine Panerai has totally transformed Eilean from the deteriorated state she was in when Officine Panerai found her. In February 2007 she was brought back to Italy on a cargo ship and so began the complete renovation. The project was undertaken by a team of craftsmen at the Francesco Del Carlo boatyard in Viareggio and spanned a total of two and a half years.

Atelier

Eilean, which in Gaelic means “little island”, was built in 1936 in the Fife boatyard in Fairlie, Scotland, to a design by the then 80-year-old William Fife III. Eilean, narrow at the waterline and with her mainsail located far back towards the stern, featured waterlines inspired by the J-Class yachts that competed in the America’s Cup in the 1930s. Eilean, which in Gaelic means “little island”, was built in 1936 in the Fife boatyard in Fairlie, Scotland, to a design by the then 80-year-old William Fife III. Eilean, narrow at the waterline and with her mainsail located far back towards the stern, featured waterlines inspired by the J-Class yachts that competed in the America’s Cup in the 1930s.

Restoration

The restoration of Eilean was executed in such a manner as to not only preserve her shape and characteristics but also the majority of her materials. The planking of her hull is fixed to a skeleton composed of frames, floor timbers, beams and reinforcements in zinc-plated metal rather than timber. The original construction technique was used during the restoration that managed to salvage the greater part of the original planking. Throughout the restoration as much as possible was restored using the boat’s original materials, such as Eilean’s original deck-house made entirely from Burma teak. Other elements such as the masts, boom and cockpit were rebuilt using the original plans and fitted with original features. The overall restoration project took close to two and a half years.

Maison

Eilean, which in Gaelic means “little island”, was built in 1936 in the Fife boatyard in Fairlie, Scotland, to a design by the then 80-year-old William Fife III. Eilean, narrow at the waterline and with her mainsail located far back towards the stern, featured waterlines inspired by the J-Class yachts that competed in the America’s Cup in the 1930s.

Contact

Francesco Del Carlo boatyard

Darsena Italia 55049 Viareggio
+39 0584 30976
cantieredelcarlo@gmail.com
www.cantieredelcarlo.it

Contact

Francesco Del Carlo boatyard

Darsena Italia 55049 Viareggio
+39 0584 30976
cantieredelcarlo@gmail.com
www.cantieredelcarlo.it

Métier

The restoration of Eilean was executed in such a manner as to not only preserve her shape and characteristics but also the majority of her materials. The planking of her hull is fixed to a skeleton composed of frames, floor timbers, beams and reinforcements in zinc-plated metal rather than timber. The original construction technique was used during the restoration that managed to salvage the greater part of the original planking. Throughout the restoration as much as possible was restored using the boat’s original materials, such as Eilean’s original deck-house made entirely from Burma teak. Other elements such as the masts, boom and cockpit were rebuilt using the original plans and fitted with original features. The overall restoration project took close to two and a half years.

Biography

Francesco Del Carlo boatyard

Francesco Del Carlo founded the Francesco Del Carlo shipyard in Viareggio in 1963. At the time the site was equipped with three slipways and primarily worked on fishing boats made of oak and pine up to 25 metres in length. While a number of these boats return periodically to the boatyard for routine maintenance, the crisis in the fishing industry and a consequential drop in the number of boats used pushed the boatyard to specialise in the restoration of pleasure boats. The boatyard brings these wonderful vintage boats back to their original beauty, many of which continue to participate in gatherings of vintage sail boats of the Mediterranean. Del Carlo shipyard is now composed of four sheds for high quality services, all equipped with mechanical and carpentry workshops.